Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to end Dependency on NPC farming

Default How to end Dependency on NPC farming

Obviously.. the players don't like it.
    The Game devs don't like it.

but need to keep it for now, cause.. well, it is too embedded in the system to remove without harm.

I have thought about it a bit, and here's how I think we can removing the dependency on NPC farming once and for all.

1, Farm your own farms.
    right now, it is pointless to buy farms, they never produce enough. If that is the case, why not boost the production of farm? have each upgrade MORE expensive, but MORE effective. Have players INVEST in the farms.
    Have the following guide lines:
    • level 1 farm, same as now
    • level 2-4 farm, cost 3 times as much, produces 3 times as much.
    • level 5-7 farm, cost 6 times as much, produces 6 times as much.
    • level 8-10 farm, cost 10 times as much, produces 10 times as much.

2, Reduce NPC farming Food reward
    3mm food reward for level 5 NPC per raid?.. no wonder people don't bother with farms. But if we fix the above, and have farms actually provide better support, THEN reducing Food reward on NPC farming will be a good idea. This way, people won't have to Raid NPC for food, but instead, attack them for other resources only. Given the choice players might choose to raid lvl 10 valleys for the proper resources instead of NPC villages, further increase choices in the game.

3, Army Cap to prevent turtling.
    Now you might say, increasing farm production will encourage turtling, well, what does NPC farming prevent? People turtle the same. Army cap is really to 'put a cap on inflation', rather than to discourage turtling. Remember, if you have an Army cap, then your enemy has an Army cap too !! It is FAIR. What we need to size up, is the max army we can send out, comparing to the Army Cap per city.
    • Given we keep Rally max at 125k Units
    • I will propose Army cap per city at 300k (excluding walls forts, so this limit is quite high, you can still have 180k archers + 120k warriors)
    • When people need to choose 300k of what units, we will see more swords instead of warriors. as Quality now matters with Quantity cap.
    • Allow temporary over MAX of 300k cap, but each unit above the cap eats 10 times the food. Making it impossible to sustain for more than 10-12 hours before refuges comes.

Then, what have the above archieved? (please discuss with me.. )
    1. Firstly, we put a cap in army inflation, which seems endless with NPC farming.
    2. We ended NPC farming, as it no longer has good enough reward.
    3. We gave a reason to have farms at lvl 9 again. Will cost, but you will need it.
    4. if 25 farms at level 9 can sustain around 3mm food production, then the numbers add up.
    5. Market place food price will go up as a result, but that's good.

I thought this is logical.
    Last edited by Mabel; 09-09-2009 at 10:24 PM.

simple, get rid of any resources NPCs have.

U know.. I have wondered why the farm's production value is so freaking low and pathetic. Farms should definitely make more. Then if NPC doesn't have that many resources, then the game will still be balanced.

Army cap... well, I agree if everyone has a cap, then it is fair. Somehow though, this part of the topic will not be popular.. people hate it when you talk about things that relation to shrinking their MEGA army that they feel so superior over.

they care more about their "leet" big numbers than getting their army shrunk, if its on the path to making the game balanced and more enjoyable. they'd rather have a large e-peen via pixels that denote 2 million of this fake thing in a fake world named archers.

when you do num, it will still be the same. trust me. it will just like today. you just added a couple of increases but in the end. it will still be the same. you are just asking for an increase when level 10 is achieved. the same thing will happen, we will still be dependent on farming. you just took off a few negative digits on the troop upkeep?
    army cap 300k? WTH, boring ^_^

__________________________________________________ ____
    legitimate deductions of tax for Illegitimate kind of jobs^_^
    Hitman : Bullets, mileage for driving to the target
    Counterfeiter : printing press, green ink, paper
    Arsonist : matches, rags
    cattle rustler : rope =P

PU239 = over 100 million, radioactive dudes in Russia. join the craze ^_^
    Last edited by PU239; 09-10-2009 at 02:25 AM.

6. Default

I agree with most of this, there is another suggestion that NPC's should cycle like everything else, would get rid of the dependency of farming NPCs. After all if you farm NPCs 2 or 3 times a day as most players need to now, then it would be particularly difficult on days when all the NPCs in your neighbourhood drop back to lvl 1...its gonna be nearly a week before you get a decent amount of food from them.

This will promote pvp which is after all the point of this game. If people had to steal the food from each other that they need for their troops, this would put a whole new significance on the pvp battles and prevent turtling. You wouldnt have the option of just sitting there building resources, you would literally have to go out there and rip them from the cold dead hands of other players. I for one would love to play in this environment and it would be the great liberator of the constant ultra defence city, because it too would need to go out and get fed.

Scrapping NPCs altogether would also make things very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by PU239 View Post
    the same thing will happen, we will still be dependent on farming. you just took off a few negative digits on the troop upkeep?
    army cap 300k? WTH, boring ^_^

I think she mentioned NPC village will yield little to no food.

but yeah, you can still farm that. You do that.

Quote Originally Posted by legionreturns View Post
    I agree with most of this, there is another suggestion that NPC's should cycle like everything else, would get rid of the dependency of farming NPCs. After all if you farm NPCs 2 or 3 times a day as most players need to now, then it would be particularly difficult on days when all the NPCs in your neighbourhood drop back to lvl 1...its gonna be nearly a week before you get a decent amount of food from them.
    I agree with this. NPC should cycle a bit I think.
    and any NPC of level 5 or higher, should 'fight back', if you raid them. Give it a chance so NPC will send an army at YOUR base if you raid them, sending in something respectable.

Then you will have players thinking twice before doing that.

I also think on the NPC cycle.. there should be a chance that the NPC will disappear all together if they are at level 1-3. This way, as time goes by, all these NPCs would thin out and not crowd the map as much as they do now.

9. Default

Still another option, when a player abandons a city, the NPC that is created is based not on the level of the flat prior to the city building it, but the level of the town hall of the city currently occupying the flat.

If you want to create NPCs to farm you gotta spend the resources to get the city high enough to become a usable farm. There is no logic whatsoever behind the idea that building a shanty town in ten minutes and then abandoning it becomes a barb city full of intermediate buildings with loads of farms in just a few seconds.

Better still have the NPC city mirror exactly the town that was built by the player abandoning it, so that anyone can take it over but if they want it to be a usable city then they need to do some work on it first. Of course the barb scum can still move in and set up a base there, but its only gonna be as effective as it was in the hands of a player until someone builds it.

I think there could be much more use out of the barb faction too, why not have it as a plot campaign? They are the plot bad guys, every now and then an uprising of barbarians will attempt to wage war in a certain province and start heavily reinforcing cities in that territory. People with cities there better do something about it or be caught off guard! My problem with NPCs is mainly that they seem to be this mystical force of people who do nothing...even when they get utterly destroyed 3 times a day they never fight back, and they still keep rebuilding pointlessly for others to come and steal their stuff and kill them all again...whats the point?! Use them or get rid of them...is this a pvp or a pve game? Make your minds up!

NPCs are not the problem here , remove the NPCs and you wont see low level players in this game, they will all be farmed out by higher level players

I do think the upkeep dont make sense nor does the rally point limit of 100k(125 with buff ) .

You can never have epic battles when you cap the army size you can send

I think troops upkeep while in the city should be reduced , but it should be higher when you march out.

That change with removing ( or at least raising the march limit 3-4 times up ) the march cap should result with more epic battles

My 2 cents

I do think they should
    Rules are to follow ...not to break!!

Best tip for getting medals : Attack the shop with 80-240 cents ...you get a medal chest drop every time......tested