Obviously.. the players don't like it.
The Game devs don't like it.
but need to keep it for now, cause.. well, it is too embedded in the system to remove without harm.
I have thought about it a bit, and here's how I think we can removing the dependency on NPC farming once and for all.
1, Farm your own farms.
right now, it is pointless to buy farms, they never produce enough. If that is the case, why not boost the production of farm? have each upgrade MORE expensive, but MORE effective. Have players INVEST in the farms.
Have the following guide lines:
- level 1 farm, same as now
- level 2-4 farm, cost 3 times as much, produces 3 times as much.
- level 5-7 farm, cost 6 times as much, produces 6 times as much.
- level 8-10 farm, cost 10 times as much, produces 10 times as much.
2, Reduce NPC farming Food reward
3mm food reward for level 5 NPC per raid?.. no wonder people don't bother with farms. But if we fix the above, and have farms actually provide better support, THEN reducing Food reward on NPC farming will be a good idea. This way, people won't have to Raid NPC for food, but instead, attack them for other resources only. Given the choice players might choose to raid lvl 10 valleys for the proper resources instead of NPC villages, further increase choices in the game.
3, Army Cap to prevent turtling.
Now you might say, increasing farm production will encourage turtling, well, what does NPC farming prevent? People turtle the same. Army cap is really to 'put a cap on inflation', rather than to discourage turtling. Remember, if you have an Army cap, then your enemy has an Army cap too !! It is FAIR. What we need to size up, is the max army we can send out, comparing to the Army Cap per city.
- Given we keep Rally max at 125k Units
- I will propose Army cap per city at 300k (excluding walls forts, so this limit is quite high, you can still have 180k archers + 120k warriors)
- When people need to choose 300k of what units, we will see more swords instead of warriors. as Quality now matters with Quantity cap.
- Allow temporary over MAX of 300k cap, but each unit above the cap eats 10 times the food. Making it impossible to sustain for more than 10-12 hours before refuges comes.
Then, what have the above archieved? (please discuss with me.. )
- Firstly, we put a cap in army inflation, which seems endless with NPC farming.
- We ended NPC farming, as it no longer has good enough reward.
- We gave a reason to have farms at lvl 9 again. Will cost, but you will need it.
- if 25 farms at level 9 can sustain around 3mm food production, then the numbers add up.
- Market place food price will go up as a result, but that's good.
I thought this is logical.