Page 138 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138
Results 1,371 to 1,377 of 1377

Thread: General RP and Story Discussions

Cort, chronicling the downfall of Admiral Castas

Quote Originally Posted by trogdor1316 View Post
    I shall wait for one or two more opinions.
    Do it! I think that's a good idea.

That kind old lady stopped the rain for us.
    She said it would only make us cold, and miserable, and sick.
    We thanked her and hugged her and she walked away smiling warmly.
    I miss the puddles...

What armour would protect against a falx?

Florida, where no tourist has gone before.

Unriveted chainmail will stop its lethality, some padding underneath will stop the blunt trauma. The point though, if swung hard enough could slip pass the chainmail and pierce the skull. But just about any helmet will help there.
    The only real power comes out of a long rifle. - Joseph Stalin

A Kentucky Long Rifle

You left out a bunch of armor types, and put a lot of things in the wrong order... metal armor is by nature more durable than leather, even if it's riveted. Chainmail is designed to counter slashing weapons, but it has all the padded armor you mention worn underneath. Armor is layered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigilstone17 View Post
    Holeypaladin is a pretty cool guy.
    I like swords.

You left out a bunch of armor types, and put a lot of things in the wrong order... metal armor is by nature more durable than leather, even if it's riveted. Chainmail is designed to counter slashing weapons, but it has all the padded armor you mention worn underneath. Armor is layered.
    I left out anything that seemed like a combination or was similar. What did I miss? Ad what is your opinion of the order?

Yes its layered, but I'm focusing the specific armors, not the combination there which. The combinations are pretty much infinite.

And yes metal is more durable then leather, but leather protects against a broader range of attacks.

Range is more important then durability.
    Last edited by Humility; 08-06-2010 at 01:34 AM.

A Kentucky Long Rifle

You left out splint and banded armors... as well as studded leather. There's also a difference between heavy chainmail and light chainmail.

Also, where would you consider gambeson to fit in?

There's typically four types of weapons for armor to defend against: Swords, axes, maces, and ranged weapons. Daggers aren't generally worth mention as any sort of armor at all can defend against knives.

But it's better to consider how the armor is worn. Even unriveted chainmail is worn over a padded cloth or leather armor, which means that the sum of the parts is greater than the individual armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigilstone17 View Post
    Holeypaladin is a pretty cool guy.
    I like swords.

You left out splint and banded armors... as well as studded leather. There's also a difference between heavy chainmail and light chainmail.
    I stated specifically I left out stinted armor and its ilk and I did it for a reason. You can place stints on pretty much anything. Heavy and light is just another term for riveted and unriveted. Unless you mean the actual thickness of the rings, in which case there is too much variety to be worth speaking of so its best to only consider optimum.

As for Banded Mail, its really just chainmail reinforced with either metal plates or leather plates. A combination.

Gambeson would be similar to the wool armor or the linen armor I described. To similar to earn its own mention.

And its not the weapon type that matters but the attack method, in which case you generally have Slashing, Piercing, Hacking, Bludgeon, Ranged Bludgeon and Ranged Piercing. Swords can do four out of those six.

But it's better to consider how the armor is worn. Even unriveted chainmail is worn over a padded cloth or leather armor, which means that the sum of the parts is greater than the individual armor.
    The variations are infinite, it is futile to attempt such a feat. Better to focus on the individual parts.
    Last edited by Humility; 08-06-2010 at 01:49 AM.

A Kentucky Long Rifle