Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyberstalking

Default Cyberstalking

I just wanted to express my concerns on cyberstalking. Recently someone on my server (one of my reds who I dont know from adam) alluded to knowing alot about me in real life.

He went on to post my phone number in world chat.

I wonder what evony's views on such behavior are.

To me, this is cyberstalking and a criminal offense. I have submitted a support ticket (actually about 20 of them because evony's ticket system appeared to be broken ).

I think there should be a line between the game world and real world. When you cross such boundaries you should be penalized.

I'm going to go ahead and guess you gave them your email, it's your actual email, and they googled you, or you have your phone number on your facebook? Bout right?

Nothing illegal about googling someone. Freedom of information.

edit: There are only even 4 countries that have laws on "cyberstalking" so good luck pressing charges. Also, there has to be some sort of harassment involved, posting a phone number that is already readily available to the public does not really qualify.
    Last edited by cushseth; 12-28-2012 at 09:21 AM.
    SS37

Less QQ more PewPew

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy the 5 View Post
    cush has a point... and he is right
    Ya.

no. I never gave these people any personal information about me. they must have gained it from friends of friends. a lot has gone on in the 3+ years we have played on our combined super server. I never gave these people personal information about me but they seem inclined to talk about my personal life in world chat. Would you appreciate it if your number became public information?

and yes there are elements of harassment in the conversation.
    Last edited by TECH-ss48; 12-28-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Well you have obviously have out personal information they proberbly found your Skype which has your personal details

Sorry for the terrible grammar and double post didn't have time to
    Check over what I wrote and my phone likes to make stupid auto corrects and change around words etc.
    Last edited by AbstractAngel; 12-28-2012 at 11:51 AM.

stalking is the best form of flattery.

or maybe thats imitation... meh

Quote Originally Posted by cushseth View Post
    I don't care if your bad. But don't teach other people your badness.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiiTard View Post
    This little pony just remortgaged for more war ports.

Other than reporting them, I'm not sure there is too much you can do. It is absolutely harassment (whether you indirectly gave them your info or not), and if you feel your personal safety is compromised I would talk to the police in your local area instead, to see what other options you have outside of the Evony world, as there is only so much that can be done online.

Compliments of the wonderful Warsimi!

There was a case of this on ss28. The person getting harassed called the cops on the harasser. As far as i know evony let them work it out between themselves. This will probably be what you need to do.

I lol'd at some of the replies but joking aside it is serious, especially since personal information is being displayed on public chat rooms.

Most information can be easily 'phished' from social network sites. If you really don't want the world to know certain things make sure you don't have that information to hand and don't supply personal phone numbers or addresses. Check the security settings on your accounts and that sensitive information can be only viewed by people you trust.

The internet is huge and unbelievably easy to find stuff out about anyone. We all need to take extra care about what we say to others should it come back to haunt us. If anyone watches Jeremy Kyle it's astonishing the amount of Facebook 'revelations' that crop upon his shows.

Take the advice already given and lock down your FB, Twitter or any other sites you have accounts to. Good luck.

Thanks to Infinitus for the epic B'day pressie!

Building a religion... a limited edition...

I once had some random kid call my phone and proceed to dox me over voicemail. I asked some of my cop friends if it was even worth reporting, they said if there was no threat involved, there was absolutely nothing they could do about it.

All around me are familiar faces
    worn out places, worn out faces
    Bright and early for the daily races
    Going nowhere, going nowhere
    Current Sig Song

Quote Originally Posted by Revoltion
    Acer is the Varys of Evony.

Quote Originally Posted by TECH-ss48 View Post
    no. I never gave these people any personal information about me. they must have gained it from friends of friends. a lot has gone on in the 3+ years we have played on our combined super server. I never gave these people personal information about me but they seem inclined to talk about my personal life in world chat. Would you appreciate it if your number became public information?

and yes there are elements of harassment in the conversation.
    A lot of people are like that. I've even received a death threat phone call over some bugs we've fixed. I mentioned it to the local PD and said that I should call them if the person making the threat comes over. (lolwut)

The problem with "cyberstalking" is the difficulty of enforcement for law enforcement or anyone else for that matter. People have a tendency to give out personal information without even knowing it. The easiest and most useful vector to get that information is through social interaction. A lot of people have to remember, that if you put it on the internet, or you interact with people on the internet, this can happen. It's also easier for the people who do it to do it, there's no real effort in finding that information, and no real risk of "correction" when someone does it. (Same reason people can be so curmudgeonly on forums.) As far as what we can do within Evony - well, not a lot. If we closed the account, they'd make another. If we banned the IP, they'd get another.

I'm in the same boat though, no real suggestions other than to harden your information, and review who you give what information to. Do NOT share anything that you don't feel comfortable having someone use against you. (That's a good rule for face to face relationships as well, IMO.)

Flaming CHICKEN!
    Courtesy: Sturm