Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guide to Scouting

Default Guide to Scouting

You need to scout areas before attacking them, or you get your tail kicked. Here's a beginner's guide to scouting:

If you follow the quests, you will quickly get 10 scouts.

You will also build an Inn (to recruit heros,) and a Feasting Hall (to house your heros.) Then you can recruit heros.

You will appoint a mayor (they might call him a castellan or something like that, but it's the same dang thing.)

You will need to click on your academy and research Informatics. The higher you level of Informatics, the better you do.

To send troops on scouting missions, upgrade your Feasting Hall to level 2. This lets you keep a second hero.

Click on the Feasting Hall. The hero with the higher politics rating should be appointed your mayor. Any moron can lead a scouting mission, but the politics of your mayor really count in your production. (I'm assuming you are early on, in the 7-day protection period and want to start scouting. Later on, other stats may matter for your mayor.)

Click on "Map" to go to map view. You can pan around by clicking and grabbing a spot on the map, then dragging it...kinda like Adobe Acrobat. Hold the mouse over a spot without a city. (You can not scout cities until your are out of the 7-day protection.) I think all these spots are called Valleys. You will see a number of things, including a level.

The level has something to do with the quality of the troops. (level 10 archers kick the fire out of level 4 archers.)

The level also has to do with wether your scouts will return ANY data.
    * If the level of the valley is higher than the level of Informatics you developed, you will get NO information.
    * If the level of the valley is equal than the level of Informatics you developed, you will get limited information. You will get a description in terms of zounds, lots, hordes, etc. A plagiarized list of what these terms mean is at the bottom of this post.
    * If the level of the valley is lower than the level of Informatics you developed, you will get exact numbers.

So, with Level 5 Informatics,
    * I was unable to get any intelligence on a level 9 swamp.
    * I was able to learn that a level 5 plain had zounds of warriors. Looking up zounds, that translates to between 1000 and 2499.
    * I was able to get information that a level 4 forrest contained 97 warriors and 52 swordsmen.

When you are in map view, click on a valley and click "scout." Add in your 10 scouts. Add in your non-mayor hero. Depending on the range, food may or may not be suggested as an addition. I don't see immediate harm in neglecting 1 or 2 foods, but I include them anyway.

Your scouts leave and march to scout. When they get there, they instantly transmit back their findings. Click on "Reports" then click on "Army" and take a look.

When the scouts get back, you get another report, this time it says your scouts got back.

Rumor has it the number of scouts is irrelevant, but I have not tested this.

After you have scouted a valley, you can click on your Rally Spot, then click on "Exercise." This lets you test hypothetical battles to see if you would win, rather than sending your troops on a suicide mission. (All loosing battles are fought to the last man.) If you see that you will win, you can attack. Go back to map view and click on the valley again. Select "attack." (The quest system calls this "conquer" but it's all the same.) Throw your hero, food, and troops at the valley's defenders. A long, long time later, you will have your very own valley! Your production of some resource will go up.

Now for the plagiarized table:

Few: 1 - 24
    Pack: 25 - 49
    Lots: 50 - 99
    Horde: 100 - 249
    Throng: 250 - 499
    Swarm: 500 - 999
    Zounds: 1000-2499
    Legion: 2500 - 4999
    Bulk: 5000 - 9999
    Giga: >10,000

Andy
    Last edited by recycledelectrons; 05-11-2009 at 07:29 AM.

thank you for the information, and I agree with you in what you have said so far, but remember that it can be used on player's even better, and too find inactive users, whit loads of resources, and that other research's, also count in battle and that town level of player, although i have no solid proof, i know that all of this isen't usable for your 7 first day's guide but some is

one's beacon tower also affects it
    I too think that valley's have an influence on research levels on the barbarian troupes in the valley's, since i once lost more troupes then the excise tool told me i would.
    left for the dead...
    no longer playing or commenting stopped the 14. may.

Thanks for the info, xxyxxyyyx. Please append or even link to other posts.

I have not made it out of beginner protection yet, but posted what I have figured out, when that info would have saved me many hours of confusion. (1) I kept attacking a Lvl 5 flat on Server 5, always unable to win. I never did successfully scout that son-of-a-gun. (2) I was lost and confused on a 3-day-quest for how to upgrade my mayor to a castellan. (You get the idea...This is the nearly blind leading the blind.)

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by xxyxxxyyyx View Post
    thank you for the information, and I agree with you in what you have said so far, but remember that it can be used on player's even better, and too find inactive users, whit loads of resources, and that other research's, also count in battle and that town level of player, although i have no solid proof, i know that all of this isen't usable for your 7 first day's guide but some is

one's beacon tower also affects it
    I too think that valley's have an influence on research levels on the barbarian troupes in the valley's, since i once lost more troupes then the excise tool told me i would.
    In what way does your beacon tower affect scouting?
    I know beacon tower tells you what kind of troops are attacking you or your valleys but are you saying it has an effect on scouts you send out?

And to the earlier post, no I don't think the number of scouts matters, except if you are scouting another city (player) who would have scouts stationed there. His scouts can kill your scouts so be sure to send enough or you will get nothing in your report
    lifes like a salmon swimming upstream
    hard
    and sometimes you get eaten by bears

~Wilson Dixon

Not all of this information is correct but its not hurting anything to have some discussion.
    Legendary Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnseeker View Post
    Not all of this information is correct but its not hurting anything to have some discussion.
    could you enlighten us as you know more then all of us?

so Mr representative.....you can reply to a post such as this,but not reply to the hundreds of other posts thats specifically ask for an evony rep response>Crawl outta yer hole and answer some real questions.

server5(asmodeus)retired
    na16 (SaxonyUN and Lunarcy)retired
    na28 (Advrsari and VvV3) retired
    na33 (AON)retired
    na51 (Tw1sted)ACTIVE

Default My guide to scouting

My guide to scouting:

GET LEVEL 10 INFORMATICS.
    Crusader Alliance
    Server 3
    Based in Franconia, accepting all above ideally 50k prestige.

You don't need to appoint a hero to scout.

Default Beacon tower can make a difference, I think

I recently did some experimenting with scouting. In one town I built no beacon tower, in another town I upgraded the beacon tower to level 7. I then raised informatics to level 3. I then scouted nearby valleys. The town that had the beacon tower of level 7 could successfully scout valleys up to level 8. From level 8 I got the adjectives - zounds, swarm, horde etc. From the town with no beacon tower and informatics level 3 even scouting a level 2 valley was not accurate.

I then found a hero with high intelligence. This helped the town that had no beacon tower, now scouting a level 2 valley did give accurate information, but it did not help the town with the level 7 beacon tower.

So, it seems to me that scouting effectiveness is some formula of beacon tower level, informatics level, and hero intelligence with beacon tower level being highly weighted. Perhaps if any of these things are 0 then the scouting results are not informative but if they are all at a level above 0 then some formula is used that weights beacon tower more heavily.

I'm not swearing that this is completely correct. I got strange results that sometimes could not be duplicated.