Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Combat Calculator redux

Default Combat Calculator redux

Intro
    A while back I tried to make a combat calculator that incorporated technology and heroes, but it didn't quite work! There was some unknown factor in play, and after lots of testing I've discovered that Intelligence gives a boost to defence - up to a maximum of 50% damage reduction. The pics below show the big difference Intelligence can make when hero's Attack isn't a factor (due to shear numbers).

The Calculator

See post #155

Tips
    When you start on a new server, the hero to look for would be one with both Attack and Intelligence in the high 60s. It's not really practical to increase both stats, saying that, check out the ram v archer example later in this thread.
    Also if you're sending enough troops to one-shot the enemy then sending your most intelligent hero would be the smart thing to do.
    When checking the Inn for new heroes I add together Intelligence and Attack then deduct the hero's level, anything over 120 is good, 125+ very good, 130+ buy that dude a drink and offer him your sister!
    Here's an example of what the buff items will do; the Corselet increases an archer's base defence by 20%, applying the Art of War on a hero with 60 Intelligence would increase base defence by 15%.

Chart below, compiled by Neokarasu, shows how much Intelligence is needed to gain the maximum 50% damage reduction (Iron Working level 10 assumed). Scouts gain no benefit from Iron Working and Cataphracts are already maxed-out from Iron Working alone.

Chart comparing the benefits of adding 1, 10 and 100 points to Attack and Intelligence, Int column shows gain in effective life.

Notes: The starting point is 50 Intelligence. The more Intelligence your hero has the more benefit each point of increase gives him, whereas Attack is always a flat increase.
    Techs are assumed to be level 10 which means that both swordsmen and cataphract already have maximum defence. For the curious, increasing Intelligence from 49 to 50 would increase swordsman's effective life by 5.2.
    Ranged damage is at 50% effectiveness, double the number to give 100% damage.
    * defence has reached maximum, no further benefit.

Formulae

Attackers' damage
    B/100(H + T + 100)N

B base attack, H hero attack, T Military Training (percentage), N number of attackers

Defence
    1 - (((I + T + 100)/100)D)/1000)

I intelligence, T Iron Working (percentage), D base defence

Life
    L x 1.T

L base life, T Medicine (percentage)

Effective Life
    L/D

L Life (as derived from above formula), D Defence (ditto)

Casualties
    A/E

A Attackers' Damage (as derived from above formula), E Effective Life (ditto)

Additional: Just before posting, I thought I'd best do a search to see if this was already known and I found an ancient post from way back in April. Seems they were pretty wise in those days, I bet they didn't believe in flying horses
    Last edited by Birtles; 09-18-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Is that only in low numbers because I think it would work differently in huge numbers when you start to send 90k archers agaisnt another 90k archers...
    Lord Archillian

Very nice (and interesting) find.

Guess it's time to level up those Int heroes

Just so you know..

Pol, Attack, and Int were not the origional names for hero stats. It was originally management, power, and stratagem. The original names make more sense when it comes to game mechanics, but for some reason they were changed.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by devek View Post
    Just so you know..

Pol, Attack, and Int were not the origional names for hero stats. It was originally management, power, and stratagem. The original names make more sense when it comes to game mechanics, but for some reason they were changed.
    Where'd you get this info from?
    Quit.

I haven't checked your actual formula yet but have you noticed any diminishing returns on this?

Because it would be REALLY funny to get a high enough Int on a hero to make your units unkillable.
    Is this a possibility?

To me it doesn't seem right. Ok heres what i think....
    Intelligence reduces the affects of enemy Technologies and therefore is better agaisnt a small amount of troops. E.g. Military Tradition Lv 10 = 50% attack reduced to 45%
    Then when your technologies add up they will be...Iron Working Lv 10 = 50%
    Therefore you have the advantage
    Attack strengthens the attack of your army but the other army still has the same attack with Technological advancements.

Tell me if I'm way out or is this quite close to it.

Thanks
    Lord Archillian

Quote Originally Posted by devek View Post
    Just so you know..

If my belief is correct (and I'm sure it will be denied heavily by certain folk) about the origins of all this, there was another stat involved in the original mechanics which played a heavy role in the combat mechs, as well as a strategem option; with this you can increase your stats further. Incorporated into this, they could have simply included it into the intelligence factor alone...

Havin' extra stats affect the troops opens up doors to explain some of the inconsistant reports, especially on NPC10s where the heroes are random statted.

Quote Originally Posted by Satan
    I said before I need to be in the top 100 players or else I won't be able to defend myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ken Deathmarr View Post
    You know, I don't understand your post sometimes ok? So I take it as a mean threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalent View Post
    Where'd you get this info from?
    Packing sniffing. It is totally ok to examine network traffic going to and from your pc.

This is the info the game sends regarding your hero...

Code:
                buffs = (Array)
                experience = 296408
                id = 1195912
                itemAmount = 0
                level = 36
                logoUrl = "images/icon/player/faceB2.jpg"
                loyalty = 80
                management = 104
                managementAdded = 0
                managementBuffAdded = 0
                name = "Slimeball"
                power = 18
                powerAdded = 0
                powerBuffAdded = 0
                remainPoint = 0
                status = 1
                stratagem = 40
                stratagemAdded = 0
                stratagemBuffAdded = 0
                upgradeExp = 129600
    Other interesting tidbits. Loyalty is called support, grievance is called complaint, and taxrate is called texRate(I don't understand that one).

Quote Originally Posted by Neokarasu View Post
    I haven't checked your actual formula yet but have you noticed any diminishing returns on this?

Because it would be REALLY funny to get a high enough Int on a hero to make your units unkillable.
    Is this a possibility?
    Damage reduction can't be increased beyond 50% - 500 defence. During my testing I also noticed that scouts not only don't seem to gain the Intelligence bonus but they were taking more damage than expected. Once I can get back online I'll run more tests. One test I'd like to see is a comparison between two attacks on a level 10 npc with 98k archers and 2k transports (no layers), using two heroes with the same high attack but very different Intelligence. Any volunteers?
    Hmm, talking of intelligence, looks like I need to repair the damage to my spreadsheet again. At least this time I had the sense to make a duplicate for the finite monkeys.