In 2009, when I first started making sigs, I was surprised at the number of people that didn't have Avatars/ Signatures. Time and time again they said it was because they didn't know how to upload them. That gave birth to this guide:
First you need to make sure you are able to view images and display a signature:
1) Go to your User CP
2) Select "Edit Options"
3) Scroll down to "Thread Display Options" and make sure the first 3 boxes are check marked.
4) Then go all the way to the bottom of the page and click "Save Changes"
Now to Upload your Signature:
1) go to "user CP"
2) select "Edit Signature"
3) either upload a your pre-made signature from your computer (option 2) or enter the URL that you our your Signature Maker provided into option 1. Then Click "Upload"
4) Now here is where some people mess up. Make sure you click " Insert signature picture". When you do this you will see the code [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] appear in the text box above and the image of you sig will be in the box below.
5) if you do not see " [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] in the box for step 5 then you did not do step 4 correctly (or you did not enable signatures in the first section). If you do not see your signature in the "Preview box" (not shown on guide but at very top of screen if done correctly) or the "your current signature picture" box you did not do step 3 correctly.
6) the final step is to click Save Signature at the bottom of the screen. If your signature does not show up in your posts and you did step 1-5 correctly, then you likely forgot step 6
Uploading your avatar is much easier:
1) go to User CP
2) go to Edit Avatar
3) click "custom avatar"
4) either upload a your pre-made Avatar from your computer (option 2) or enter the URL that you our your Signature Maker provided into option 1. Then Click "Save Changes"
P.S. To get an Uber signature, go to any of the signature factories or you can come visit mine: SweetP's Sig Shop.
In the past there was issues with people who are brand new to the forums not being able to upload their signatures or avatars. If you did everything above and are still having issues, please contact one of the Moderators or Staff.
Update Dec 5, 2010:
Discussion about what is and isn't allowed as your Avatar or Sig... Our wonderful Rota had the perfect answer for this to clarify Evony's PC stance on our graphics: