Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: reasons to stay

Quote Originally Posted by Nesterus View Post
    this place is a decadent ruin
    much like Rome, the evony forums fell.
    Are you referring to the collapse of the Occidental Roman Empire? If this is the particular argument that you are willing to uphold, are you using the deposition of Romulus Augustulus which occurred in 476 CE as your historical guideline? However, it is possible that the Occidental Roman Empire collapsed in 480 CE with the assassination of Julius Nepos who was the final claimant to the appellation of Occidental Roman Emperor. Julius Nepos maintained his sovereignty in the rump state of Dalmatia until the year of his assassination in 480 CE. In addition, the Roman governor Syagrius ruled in the Soissons (Northwestern Gaul) until his defeat at the Battle of Soissons in 486 CE. If you are currently adhering to the dates of 476 CE and 480 CE as a guideline for the territorial collapse of the Roman Empire, this particular viewpoint has neglected to consider the Oriental provinces of the Roman Empire which existed as cohesive territorial units until the Ottoman capture of Constantinople which occurred in 1453 CE. While the Byzantine (Roman) Empire lost its Levantine provinces and the entirety of North Africa to the zeal of the Mahometans, the denizens of Constantinople repelled the onslaught of the Mussulmans in the two Arab sieges of Constantinople (674-678 CE and 717-718 CE) with the aid of the military invention of the architect Callinicus of Heliopolis. The Byzantine retained their core territories (The Balkan Peninsula, Anatolia and Southern Italy) for the greater portion of the empire's history. The Byzantines (Romans) lost the interior of Anatolia after suffering an ignominious defeat at the Battle of Manzikert in 1071 CE. The final Byzantine outpost (Bari) in Southern Italy was captured by the Normans in 1071 CE. At the Battle of Myriokephalon in 1176 CE, the Comnenian Emperor Manuel I Comnenus (Reigned: 1143-1180 CE) suffered an opprobrious defeat. The Seljuk Turks inflicted two deadly blows at the battles of Manzikert and Myriokephalon. With the engagement of Myriokephalon, the Byzantine forces of Manuel I Comnenus were unable to dislodge the Seljuk Turks from the interior of Anatolia.

Another possible date for the final collapse of the Roman Empire in its Byzantine variant is Mehmed II's capture of Constantinople in 1453 CE. However, the Trapezuntine Empire (The three Byzantine successor states were the Empire of Nicaea, the Despotate of Epirus and the Trapezuntine Empire) was ruled by the Byzantine dynasty of the Megalokomnenoi until the Ottoman Turks captured Trapezus (Trebizond) in 1461 CE. The remnants of the Despotate of Epirus fell to the inexorable advance of the Ottoman Turks in 1479 CE. Even the city of Otranto in Southern Italy was briefly occupied by the Ottoman Turks from 1480-1481 CE. If your criterion for determining the longevity of the civilization of Rome depends on the security of the territory adjacent to the Tiber River, Rome collapsed on numerous occasions. Rome was sacked by the Senones in 387 BCE by the Gallic chieftain Brennus (Brennos). In addition, the imperial residence was later sacked in 410 CE by the Visigoths under their chieftain Alaric. It was later sacked by the Vandals of North Africa under the leadership of Genseric (Geiseric). However, this cannot be an accurate indicator of the Roman civilization as the chief administrative center of the Occidental provinces was transferred from the imperial city of Rome to two additional centers of imperial authority. Mediolanum (Milan) was the imperial residence of the Occidental provinces of the Roman Empire from 286-402 CE while the city of Ravenna was the imperial residence from 402-476 CE. Rome was not merely the city established on the Tiber River by the mythological hero-founder Romulus in 753 BCE. Instead, Rome encompassed the entire Mediterranean. The final territorial collapse of the Roman Empire occurred in the years 1453 CE, 1460 CE and 1461 CE. In 1453 CE, the glittering metropolis of Constantinople was captured by the Ottoman Turks. The final Roman Emperor Constantine XI Palaeologus (Reigned 1449-1453 CE) was slain in the street fighting that erupted in Constantinople. The final bastion of imperial Roman authority was inundated by the inexorable Ottoman tide. In 1460 CE, the Despotate of the Morea which was situated in the Peloponnese (The Byzantine administrative center of the Despotate was Mistra. Byzantine Mistra was located in an adjacent position to the dilapidated remains of the ancient polis of Lacedaemon) was annexed by the Ottoman Turks. In 1461 CE, the Trapezuntine Empire (Empire of Trebizond) was subjugated by the Ottoman Turks with the successful capture of Trapezus (Trebizond). According to the territorial composition of the Roman Empire, the statement that the Roman Empire collapsed (476 CE/1453 CE) is irrefragable. In terms of a cultural, literary, religious and philosophical approach, your viewpoint is an incorrect assessment of the spirit of antiquity.

History is a variegated construct; however, the underlying current of Occidental history appears to be succession of hegemonic states that undergo ascension to a fixed apogee before experiencing a period of stagnation and the successive step of a descent to nadir. Occidental history features a succession of hegemonic states imposing the benefits of civilization on uncouth, savage and inferior cultures. This is initially achieved through the extirpation of inimical states combined with the hegemonic state’s ingratiation with allied tribes. In the nadir of empire, the hegemonic state totters at the inexorable advance of non-indigenous (Heterochthonous) cultures. In its essence, Occidental history is a lampadephoria. When the Hellenic spirit underwent enervation as a result of the ostentation of the royal courts and the profligacy of the Hellenistic autocrats, the torch of human reason was bestowed to the pugnacious Romans after their subjugation of the Hellenes (Battle of Cynoscephalae: 197 BCE, Battle of Pydna: 168 BCE and the Sack of Corinth: 146 BCE). After their rapidly expanding decadence and the processes of political ossification, the Roman civilization crumbled to the vigorous and bellicose tribes that inundated the imperial provinces of the empire. The spirit of the essential features of Roman civilization was not dissolved on the collapse of the Occidental Roman Empire which occurred on the establishment of the Herulian Odoacer's reign (476-493 CE). Instead, the lampadephoria of Occidental history progressed with the interspersion of the foundational ideals and practices of the Hellenes and Romans (Greco-Roman civilization) with the nascent Germanic civilization. The hybrid outcome of the interspersion of the Greco-Roman world with the nascent Germanic civilization is often referred to as the Teutonico-Christian world. This progressive stage was the succeeding epoch in the lampadephoria of Occidental history. In the contemporary world, the lampadephoria has extended from the exhausted center of Occidental civilization to the peripheral regions: the New World, the Indian subcontinent and the Australasian Isles. Occidental history has shifted from the Mediterranean to its antipodean point on the globe.
    Last edited by Conrad_Jalowski; 03-01-2012 at 12:57 AM.

You asked for that one Nesty.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Joker
    "I believe, whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you.....stranger."

Quote Originally Posted by Nesterus View Post
    this place is a decadent ruin
    much like Rome, the evony forums fell.
    Quote Originally Posted by acer5200 View Post
    Rome didn't fall though, just ask Conrad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad_Jalowski View Post
    Are you referring to the collapse of the Occidental Roman Empire? If this is the particular argument that you are willing to uphold,... blah dee blah blah blah... to its antipodean point on the globe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Japengo View Post
    You asked for that one Nesty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balaam View Post
    blah blah
    • there are too many posters that don't stay on topic. it's like a whole group of you have ADHD blah blah

• if you have a sense of humour and you go to the OT you can have a little fun on the forum blah blah
    i love when threads are self fulfilling prophecies
    blessed are the geeks: for they shall inherit the earth

Wherever we go, that's where the party's at

There are prophets in OT?! Well I think that's rather compelling a reason to stick around, eh? Least till they start saying things we'd rather not hear; say, 'you shall be bankrupt come next week'. I don't want to know in advance thanks. Just makes one's life more depressing.

This stunning signature brought to you by: ChukNorris. Thanks Chuk! ^_^

When the hell did Conrad come back? Did Bole hack his account?

Balaam, these forums once lived due to the friends to be found. The game attracted a massive crowd due to its new gaming experience it could offer.

As time went on, old gamers started to leave and new gamers did not come. The game never changed so never became interesting again.

In the end, the reason these forums are relatively dead is because a relatively small number of people care to play the game anymore. It just isn't interesting- a pay to win civ game that isn't better than any real game in the genre and became popular due to scandal and intrigue.

Why do I come back? I really love these forums. I check in vain hope I will see some of the people I never see anymore- but if they do return I seem to just miss them.
    Look for Heights in the RPG and story section

In my bed... With a pillow between my legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Arumen View Post
    When the hell did Conrad come back? Did Bole hack his account?

Balaam, these forums once lived due to the friends to be found. The game attracted a massive crowd due to its new gaming experience it could offer.

As time went on, old gamers started to leave and new gamers did not come. The game never changed so never became interesting again.

In the end, the reason these forums are relatively dead is because a relatively small number of people care to play the game anymore. It just isn't interesting- a pay to win civ game that isn't better than any real game in the genre and became popular due to scandal and intrigue.

Why do I come back? I really love these forums. I check in vain hope I will see some of the people I never see anymore- but if they do return I seem to just miss them.
    Arumen!!

<3333333

Sometimes love is not enough and the road gets tough
    I don't know why
    Keep making me laugh, Let's go get high
    The road is long, we carry on
    Try to have fun in the meantime

Quote Originally Posted by gottibabe1 View Post
    Arumen!!

<3333333

gotti!

Building a religion... a limited edition...

Aru h4x!!!!!!!!

We miss your h4xxing!

Quote Originally Posted by acer5200 View Post
    Aru h4x!!!!!!!!

We miss your h4xxing!
    Ah, and I miss your being a computer-ing

When the times changed and the people moved away from this almost-lifeless place, the faithful remained... (because the faithful are to super-stubborn to to leave not to mention have a TON of guts to stay!)